Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Mommy has been bumped

Last night, Anthony told me, "Mommy, when I grow up, I'm going to marry Lisa... because I love her." I replied, "Really? What do you love about her? Is it because she's nice? Fun? Beautiful?" He said, "Because I love her and have fun with her." Lisa is the daughter of my close friend, Pamela, and she is a lot like Anthony. They are very creative, imaginative, and easy children. Recently Lisa stayed over for a day and finger/footpainted.



So, today is Ash Wednesday. The boys were SO good in church this morning (Lucky Charms helped a little), and so many people told me afterwards how well behaved they are. You had better believe that I told the boys over and over how great they were and how I like to see other people recognize it, too. Now, most Sundays at church, Joe brings doughnuts for after mass. Today, being a work day, he was not at our usual mass time and thus there were no doughnuts. The boys asked if we could go get some, and being that my stomach was achy from my hunger, I almost agreed. BUT, I took this as an opportunity to teach about Lent, Easter and sacrafice. Anthony caught on quickly about the meaning of Easter and Lent and how we can give up and give more. So, after I reminded him that we will be at Pamela's tomorrow, he said, "well, I'm giving up TV tomorrow!" I thought that was awesome! Wow! I love it when they just get it- even if it's in their own way. Now, I have to say that he said he'd give up dessert after dinner tonight and quickly took it back! :) Baby steps! He then asked, "I wonder what Daddy's going to give up? Maybe he'll give up TV, too." We'll have to ask him tonight. Being in China, I think there are probably some things already that he gives up.

Anyway, life if good. I so enjoy Lent and the self-reflection that it involves. It's not always easy or pleasant to really see your shortcomings, sins and flaws. But, if they are never discovered, then you can never work on them and hope to better yourself. It's always easier to ignore them or leave it up to others to accept them. Let's pray Lent brings us to a fuller understanding of sacrifice, God's love and all we have through him.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]